On CNN?

Wow. It's really a sad day when an article from one of the larger news groups has an error like this. I often encounter odd, but not necessarily incorrect wording, but punctuation errors are rare. What is with people and apostrophes lately? No one can seem to figure out when to use them and when to leave them out. I find this article particularly strange, as the title is so complicated for people who don't understand the apostrophe. The title is properly punctuated but the article's possessive word "parents" didn't have the same care.


Comments

2 Responses to "On CNN?"

Carlos said... January 28, 2009 at 2:45 AM

Another: I think they meant boyfriend's. They're not talking about meeting parents and boyfriends, after all; they're taking about meeting parents :-)

"You're finally meeting your boyfriend or girlfriend's family..."

I'm not sure I get the apostrophe problem either. The whole usage thing was quite clear to me when I was ten. They just don't teach grammar in school the way they used to. My kids (17 & 20) received their last real grammar & writing lessons in the eigth grade. It's sad.

rafaellecuona said... February 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM

How would you have written it? The use of Parents' here is correct.

About Ren

I have finally become so incensed by poor writing in the media that I've decided to create a blog detailing the errors that I find. Perhaps journalists will think about proofreading their work if they don't want to find themselves on here. If you see any examples, please e-mail them to me at r.tauman [at] gmail.com.

I don't expect the average person to be able to write well, but those who write for the public should at least know what they are doing.